POWERS OF THE COMMISSION (NWC Act -2006):
(1): While performing functions under section 5 of this Act, involving investigation and inquiry, the Commission shall have the powers of a civil court trying a suit and, in particular, in respect of the following matters:
- Summoning and enforcing the attendance of any person from any part of India and examining him on oath.
- Requiring the discovery and production of any documents
- Receiving evidence on affidavits
- Requisitioning any public record of copy thereof from any court or office
- Issuing Commissions for the examination of witnesses and documents, and
- Any other matter which may be prescribed.
(2): The Commission may for the purpose of conducting investigations and inquiry under this Act, utilize the services of any officer of the State Government with its prior approval.
(3): The other procedural details in regard to conduct of investigations and inquiries under this Act shall, as far as possible, be the same as the procedure followed by a Civil Court and may also, if found necessary, further be prescribed by rules to be made by the State Government.
FUNCTIONS OF THE COMMISSION:
- According to Section 5 of the Nagaland State Commission for Women Act-2006, the Commission shall:
- Study/research and codify the customary laws relating to Naga women, family institutions, social security for women and children, on tribe-wise, district-wise and on other basis that may be considered necessary, for protecting family institutions from breaking up and for protecting against children particularly girl children from being rendered as orphans.
- Study, research and report on the advisability of reorienting some of the customary laws and practices into legislative enactments;
- Study, research and report on all Acts of Parliament including Civil Procedure Code, Criminal Procedure Code and Indian Penal Code etc., regarding their applicability or otherwise to Naga women, for enabling the Nagaland Legislative Assembly to take appropriate action under article 371-A (1) (a) of the Constitution of India;
- Study, research and report on all Acts of Nagaland Legislative Assembly that affect women so as to plug loopholes and for more effective implementation;
- Study, research and report on the advisability of including specific provisions in the Constitution of India for further protecting the interests of women in Nagaland, both in general and special ways;
- Formulate alternative policies for the socio-economic and educational advancement of women in Nagaland for consideration of the State Government;
- Study, research and report on the conditions of women in general, in Nagaland.
- Study, research and report on the conditions of women in private and public workplaces in Nagaland
- Study and report on the conditions of women in Jails, Remand Homes and other places of custody to ameliorate their conditions against atrocities and human rights violations.
- Receive complaints relating to the status, conditions and affairs of women from individuals and bodies, investigate them and report to the State Government; and
- Perform all other functions which are connected with or incidental to functions enumerated above.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Commission to make special study, research, investigation and inquiry into matters or questions affecting the welfare and empowerment of women in Nagaland, that are referred by the State Government to the Commission.